The AMSA Foundation is actively seeking to fill three positions on the board of directors: Chair, Treasurer, and Secretary. Details on the roles and responsibilities may be found below.
To apply for a position, please send the following to Heather Flynn at email@example.com. The deadline to apply is August 23, 2020.
- Statement of interest describing your qualifications for the position (not to exceed 1,000 words)
- Curriculum vitae
- Signed copy of Director Policies document, including conflict-of-interest policy
Foundation Bylaws and Director Policies
All members of the Board of the Directors of the American Medical Student Association Foundation (AMSAF) will have as the following their roles and responsibilities:
- To assess, define and promote the mission and goals of AMSAF.
- To act as stewards to secure the future of research and education in AMSA by working to build a strong and fiscally sound organization.
- To determine policies and procedures that support the ideals articulated above.
- To make a personal gift to the best of their ability. The AMSA Foundation should be a first, second, or, at the least, third top priority for personal giving.
- With the help and support of staff; identify, cultivate, solicit and close gifts from corporate, foundation and individual donor prospects.
- To support new and diverse initiatives in fundraising, for example, participating in a planned giving program.
- To act as an ambassador of the Foundation in public and private life.
- To nominate new members based on their ability to give and get gifts to support the AMSAF mission.
- To maintain the highest standards of independence and ethics in relationships with funding partners.
In addition, certain positions on the board have additional responsibilities:
- Demonstrates at all times an exceptional commitment to AMSAF through leadership and personal integrity.
- Serves as a spokesperson for the organization with the media.
- Showcases respect, professionalism, and leadership to all stakeholders; to include but not limited to fellow board members, AMSAF staff, donors, vendors etc.
- Serves as the main point of contact for every board member on board issues.
- Establishes goals and objectives for the board; while providing guidance and support to ensure that they are met.
- Leads and facilitates productive board meetings by creating purposeful agendas in collaboration with the CEO. Engages all board members to take an active role in the meetings.
- Partners with the CEO in their mutual pursuit to advance the mission of the organization through the establishment of a trust-filled relationship that promotes open and regular communication.
- Encourages the board’s role in AMSAF’s strategic planning.
- Appoints the chairpersons of assigned committees, in consultation with other Board members.
- Serves as ex officio as a member of committees and attends their meetings when invited.
- Keeps abreast of current affairs and issues that may be confronting the organization and proactively addresses with the CEO.
- Helps guide and mediate Board actions with respect to organizational priorities and governance concerns.
- Presents compiled annual performance results to the board and discusses areas of excellence and steps for improvement in the coming year.
- Works with the AMSA President on ensuring that the CEO contract, job description, compensation, performance review process and succession plan are up to date.
- Assists in overseeing the financial reports and integrity of financial data.
- Leads board initiatives in fundraising activities.
- Continually evaluates the performance of the organization in achieving its mission and the accomplishment of its assigned annual goals.
- Stays informed about committee matters and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
- Attends outside events that will further the mission of AMSAF while acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- Joins the CEO where needed while visiting major funders or donors.
- Mentors incoming board chair.
- Acts as the main liaison between members and the public on Foundation-related questions. Determines the importance and relevance of the communications the Foundation receives and responds directly or delegates a response from the appropriate entity.
- Works with the communications and marketing team to field and report on communications from all sources and to determine and prioritize responses to queries.
- Creates timely distribution of agendas for Board meetings.
- Accurately records and distributes the minutes of Board of Directors meetings with support from staff.
- Creates and maintains an up-to-date board planning calendar outlining matters to be on the board’s agenda over the course of a year.
- Maintains a full contact list of board members including board member appointment dates, term of appointments and board member bios.
- Updates and maintains the online storage of the Association’s meeting minutes and other legal documents.
- Maintains governance policies and a systematic schedule for their review as determined by the board.
- Works with the AMSA staff to keep the BOD website page up to date and accurate.
- Tracks board members terms and officially acknowledges the start and end of each board member terms in writing.
- Offers guidance to CEO and senior staff in ensuring good fiscal planning, decision-making and oversight at a governance level.
- Oversees the development of appropriate organization wide financial policies and their review by the board.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual budget and its presentation to the board for review.
- Ensures appropriate quarterly or semiannual financial statements are reviewed by the board.
- Ensures the board regularly monitors the organization’s financial performance and alerts it to any important discrepancies between planned and actual figures.
- Ensures the organization maintains the appropriate financial books and records and that they are accurate and up-to-date.
- Ensures government tax filings and remittances are submitted on a timely basis.
- Serves as a co-signer of cheques with at least one another signing officer.
- Ensures excess funds and reserves are properly held and invested.
- Verifies donations are handled appropriately and that grants are accounted for in accordance with the requirements of funders.
- Meets with the external auditor annually, or more often if needed, to identify any financial control and record keeping problems or deficiencies and oversee action by the CEO and financial point of contact to address them.
- Recommends to the board the need for a review or renewal of the auditing services provided.
- Assists the CEO and board chair with the development and presentation of the annual report
- Presents or co-presents the organization’s financial report at the Annual Meeting.
- Assists the CEO in keeping the board informed of important financial events, trends, and issues relevant to the organization.